With trends in new home construction taking on an innovative look and feel, at Wyckoff Heating & Cooling we have seen the popularity of indoor / outdoor fireplaces rise. From the flexibility and warmth to ambiance and design, these versatile fireplaces are gaining traction in homes across the Midwest. Remember, before you determine if this feature is the right option for your home, you will want to weigh all considerations including location, fuel, aesthetics and more.
Let’s take a closer look at the factors you should consider before making a final purchase:
- Season extension. A great way to get the most from your outdoor space, an indoor / outdoor fireplace can extend your fall and spring seasons. Enjoy a chilly night nestled by the fire; just remember you will still have to tough the cold Iowa winters.
- Style and aesthetics.Many styles of fireplaces are available, from brick and granite designs to sleek, contemporary models in glass, ceramic or even metal. You can select a design that coordinates with the overall theme of your home. Since the fireplace will make-up part of the interior and exterior of your home, it can serve as a great transition to your outdoor space.
- Flexibility and function. Indoor / outdoor fireplaces can be versatile and even portable. If you decide to go with an electric model, the fireplace can be taken down and reassembled as needed, allowing you to choose the fireplace location that day. Regardless of the location, indoor / outdoor fireplaces are functional, providing warmth when needed. Keep in mind, if you sit outside for a long time with the heater on, you are also heating your home. You will want to maintain a comfortable temperature inside as well as outside.
- Location. A wood burning, gas or propane-operated indoor / outdoor fireplace will need to be installed in an exterior wall that opens to your outdoor living space. You will need to select the location carefully both indoors, ensuring appropriate use of space, and outdoors, taking care that your entertaining space is in the proper location.
- Fuel. There are many options for fuel depending on the type of fireplace you select. A traditional wood-burning fireplace may be utilized, but will require a chimney. Or you can select a gas (hooks into your home’s gas line), propane (connects to a gas line and external propane tank) or electric (simply plug into an outlet) fireplace. You also want to keep the price of fuel in mind when selecting the type of fireplace you want.
- Installation. Once again, here you have options. Installing an indoor / outdoor fireplace can be a complex task – finding the right location and space, can be a daunting task especially in an existing home. If you decide a stationary indoor / outdoor fireplace is not for you, a portable fireplace is an alternate option. Adding a wall-mounted indoor fireplace (electric) to your home is a simple and relatively painless task that provides plenty of heat and simulates the same look and feel.
- Energy efficiency. Indoor / outdoor fireplaces are capable of trapping heat rather than expelling it through a chimney or flue (for options other than wood burning fireplaces), making them far more efficient than traditional fireplaces. Back to the functionality point, these features are capable of providing heat your entire family can enjoy.
- Safety. In addition to energy efficiency, indoor / outdoor fireplaces are much safer to use. When the need for a chimney or flue is eliminated, you can significantly reduce allergens and risks associated with wood burning fireplaces.
- Affordability. Cheaper than installing a new, traditional fireplace, an indoor outdoor fireplace will typically start at few hundred dollars, based on quality. A new traditional fireplace can cost thousands of dollars before factoring in installation.
As a responsible consumer, you should know all of the options and facts about your purchase before you make a decision. At Wyckoff Heating & Cooling, we are here to provide the facts, help you consider the options and find the best fit for your home. For more information on fireplaces and home comfort, please contact us or call (800) 246-0273.