With the dog days of summer nearly upon us, we all start to think about ways to keep cool this season. At Wyckoff Heating & Cooling, our minds automatically turn to ways to keep our family and yours comfortable – because we not only specialize in HVAC systems, we specialize in home comfort. Let’s take a look at our top list of ways to ensure your home withstands the heat this summer:
Tips for Your Home
- Keep shades, blinds, windows and doors closed during the day. This keeps the cool air you want in and prevents the sun’s rays and summer heat from skyrocketing your energy bill. White shades and blinds reflect heat more effectively than any other color. Consider this helpful hint when installing new or updating your home.
- Don’t let heat from lights, appliances and electronics build up in your home. To avoid this, turn of lights and electronics when you leave the room and avoid putting lamps or televisions near your air conditioner’s thermostat. The thermostat senses heat from appliances, which can cause it to run longer than necessary.
- Cook outdoors or use your microwave as an alternative to your oven. Both options can keep your kitchen a few degrees cooler.
- Seal air leaks around doors and windows by caulking or weatherstripping.
- Clean your dryer lint filter frequently and check the outdoor vent opening. Clogged vents add to your drying time. Also, be sure your dryer vent runs outside of your home to prevent heat and moisture building up inside.
- When you shower or take a bath, use the bathroom fan to remove heat and humidity from your home.
- Minimize activities that generate a lot of heat, such as running your dishwasher, washing machine and dryer; using curling irons and hair dryers; and even taking hot showers and baths. Air drying when possible can alleviate moisture and heat build-up.
- Plant shade trees. Outside shade can reduce your air conditioning costs by up to 30 percent. Shade on the east and west sides of your home is the most crucial. Properly shading your air conditioner can also help your system perform up to 10 percent more efficiently.
For Your Air Conditioner
- Set your thermostat to as high as comfortably possible (always on auto, not fan), especially during the hours you are at work or away on the weekend. By increasing your thermostat even a few degrees, you can see significant savings on your utility bill this season. A programmable thermostat is a great option for adjusting the temperature in your home without having to take time to change it daily. The smaller the difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures, the lower your overall cooling bill.
- Don’t choose a lower air conditioning temperature when you initially turn on your air conditioning unit. The initial temperature does not impact on the speed in which your home will cool down.
- Run ceiling fans in conjunction with your air conditioner. By setting your air conditioner a few degrees higher and adding breeze from a fan, you not only increase your comfort level, but also reduce your costs up to 25 percent. Be sure your fans are set “forward” or counter-clockwise in the summer. This ensures a downward breeze to keep you cool.
- Change your filter regularly, at least four times a year, to ensure fluid air flow. Restricted air flow can result in increased electric bills and costly repairs. This will also provide peace of mind knowing the air your family is breathing is clean and filtered.
- Take advantage of Wyckoff’s Peace of Mind planned service program. Save 10 percent on regular service rates and have a certified technician inspect your HVAC system twice annually. Regular tune-ups reduce your risk of experiencing common malfunctions.
- Although we specialize in HVAC systems, we couldn’t leave out a couple tips for our valued customers. Be sure to wear light weight clothing. Short sleeves, shorts and cotton can help you stay cool this summer.
- Drink plenty of liquids and avoid caffeine and alcohol, both which can dehydrate you.
After reviewing our summer tips, we hope you are inspired to prep your home to withstand the heat and ensure your family is comfortable all summer long. No matter the season, Wyckoff Heating & Cooling is here to help, contact us today, or read more tips on our blog.