Tag Archives: fall
After you get a handle on your family’s back-to-school colds and allergies, fall and flu season come in full swing. Along with these regular bugs, you may notice added stuffiness in your home. It’s natural to want to hunker down for the chilly fall and winter months, just remember to take extra precaution when it comes to your indoor air quality – your family and your body will be thankful throughout the cold Iowa winter.
At Wyckoff Heating & Cooling, your home comfort is our number one priority. Consider these helpful tips to ensure your home’s air is fresh and free of allergens:
- Make sure your HVAC system is operating at optimal efficiency. One way to do so is to participate in our Peace of Mind planned service program. A certified technician will visit your home twice a year to ensure your air conditioning system and furnace are functioning properly before issues arise.
- Check your filter and ducts. A clean filter and duct system is essential, not only for your furnace to perform effectively but also to prevent allergens from spreading throughout your home.
- Consider a duct-installed UV light system. The UV system rids many living pollutants from your home, before they can travel throughout.
- Clean floor vents. Often times overlooked, floor vents quickly collect dust and debris. Cleaning them twice a year will ensure clean air is distributed.
- Vacuum regularly. Vacuuming helps pick up excess dust and allergens and prevents them from circulating in your home. Even walking across dirty carpet can stir up pollutants and dander.
- Keep dampness out of your home. There are several ways to do this including, ensuring your windows are sealed firmly, keeping doors and your garage door closed, or even investing in a dehumidifier.
- Place two doormats at each entryway, one outside, one inside, to keep outdoor irritants from finding their way inside. Always have your family and guests remove their shoes when they enter, so they don’t spread allergens around.
- Wash bed sheets in hot water to kill off unwanted allergens.
- Avoid opening windows and doors during early mornings. Most allergens are released at this time.
- Bathe pets on a regular basis. Your pets carry dandruff and allergens. Be sure to keep them clean and avoid tracking unwanted pollutants indoors.
There are many ways you can help keep your home fresh and free of allergens this fall. We hope you utilize some of our tips to keep yourself, and your family, comfortable all winter long. For more seasonal tips, visit our blog or contact us now.